Owning a home is a big responsibility. Your tasks go far beyond writing a check to cover the mortgage each month. From heating systems, to flooring, to fixtures and more, a home requires ongoing maintenance inside and out. How can you keep up with everything that needs to be done? Your general contractor in the Twin Cities offers the following checklist. Use this guide to keep your exterior looking sharp year in and year out:
- Roof: Inspect your roof annually and after every storm to check for damage and normal wear and tear. Look for missing, cracked or curled shingles. Check the flashing around the chimney. Clear away any debris that has gathered on its slopes.
- Siding: The amount of maintenance your siding needs depends on the materials and style. Wood siding should be painted every three to seven years, depending on your location. Vinyl siding should be power washed each year to keep the home clean and prevent damage. Inspect your siding each year for any damage, and make repairs right away.
- Fascia and soffits: These vertical and horizontal boards are located below the roof line and require regular inspection. Poorly maintained fascia and soffits can absorb water and suffer rot. Inspect these when you look over your roof and siding and make any necessary repairs to keep them in top shape.
- Windows: For a sharp exterior, keep your windows clean. Plan to complete a thorough cleaning inside and out each spring. When you clean the windows, look for any signs of screen damage, cracked seals or missing weather stripping and make any needed repairs.
- Gutters: If your gutters don’t work properly, your home can suffer water damage. Clear your gutters of all debris in late spring and again after leaves have fallen in autumn. Ensure all downspouts are properly secured and offer good drainage to keep moisture away from your foundation.
- Mailbox: Don’t neglect this part of your exterior. Examine your mailbox each spring to determine if it needs to be replaced, repainted or otherwise refurbished.
- Lawn care: Weekly mowing, weeding and trimming are essential. Don’t forget the seasonal tasks, too. Trim trees and bushes, add mulch as needed and maintain seasonal landscaping with fresh plants.
- Decks and patios: Power washing these exterior areas each year will help keep them looking sharp and inviting. Repair any damaged wood and re-stain as needed.
- Sidewalks: If your property includes any sidewalks, driveways or other walkways, inspect these each year for damage. Holes and cracks pose tripping hazards. They are also unattractive.
- Irrigation: If you have a sprinkler system, test it each year before the growing season to ensure it is ready for use. At the end of the season, be sure to properly shut the system down before winter.
Following this checklist will help you keep your home’s exterior properly maintained. If you’d like additional tips from your general contractor in the Twin Cities, contact the experienced team at Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo. We are happy to answer any questions you have or provide a free estimate for your next home maintenance service.