The roof on top of your home can last for up to 30 years, depending on the material it’s made of and whether or not it was installed correctly. However, that 30-year lifespan assumes that you’re taking proper care of your roof and the area around it. If you’re a homeowner and you’re unsure of how to care for your roof, keep reading—this post will teach you what you need to know about roof care and roof cleaning in the Twin Cities:
- Trim your trees: The trees that surround your home offer privacy and shade, and really help to beautify your yard. However, untrimmed and overgrown trees are your roof’s number one enemy. Overgrown branches are likely to snap off during a heavy storm, breaking tiles or even creating big holes in your roof. Call a tree trimming service to inspect your trees and trim up any branches that could pose a threat to your home.
- Ensure proper ventilation: Going up in your attic during the summer is typically a nightmare. All of that hot and humid air gets stuck up there, creating a suffocatingly hot atmosphere. In addition to creating an unpleasant environment, that humidity can lead to moisture buildup and eventual mold growth, which poses significant problems for your roof. Make sure your attic is well ventilated to keep that humidity as low as possible, reducing the risk of mold.
- Keep it clean: You’ve probably seen homes in your neighborhood that have green moss and mold growing on the side of their roof. That’s not a good look, and it harms your roof in the long run. If your roof is looking a little green, brown or black, give us a call to clean it up. We use a product called Roof Shampoo that’s proven to give you a sparkling clean roof regardless of your roof’s surface.
- Treat your roof: A roof cleaning every now and then is a great idea, but you can prolong the periods between cleanings by having your roof treated today. Roof treatment prevents moss and mold buildup, which eventually deteriorates your roof’s shingles and underlayment. If it’s been a while since your roof has been treated, or if it’s never been treated before, it’s time to give us a call and set up an appointment!
- Hire a professional: A lot of folks like to save some money by taking the DIY approach to home improvement and repairs when possible. Though that can save you money and give you a sense of accomplishment, we don’t recommend it when it comes to roofing. Making roof repairs by yourself can lead to serious injury, and the chance that you make the repairs correctly is fairly slim. Instead, pay a pro to safely repair your roof and get the job done right the first time.
Don’t trust anyone else but our pros at Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo the next time you need roof cleaning in the Twin Cities. In addition to roof cleaning, we can perform any types of repairs for your roof, or even install a new roof if yours is old. Give us a call today to get a quote or to learn more about all of our services!