How to Handle Roof and Siding Damage After a Storm
Your roof and siding are two of the most important components of your home when it comes to protecting you from the elements. Critical flaws in either your roof or your siding lead to leaks, rising energy costs and a whole host of other problems that you’d probably rather not deal with.
Though your roof and siding are both built to last, a harsh storm can take a toll on them. If you’re unlucky enough to have that happen, you’ll need to call someone for Minneapolis storm damage repairs. Keep reading to learn more about damage to both your roof and your siding.
Whether it’s high winds or a sudden hailstorm, your roof can take a beating. Here are a couple of the most common issues you might encounter after a storm passes through:
- Missing shingles: It doesn’t take too strong of winds to knock shingles off your roof if the shingles are already a bit loose. These missing shingles can lead to leaks or excessive damage to the underlayer of your roof.
- Broken or cracked shingles: Regardless of the type of shingles you have, they can crack during a heavy storm. Again, this leads to leaks and serious roofing damage that’ll necessitate professional repairs.
- Hail damage: Even the smallest balls of hail can wreak havoc on roofs. Be sure to call a professional for an inspection after a hailstorm to ensure there’s no severe damage to your shingles.
Your siding can take just as big of a punch as your roof during a storm. These are the most common types of siding damage you might see:
- Holes: Flying debris or a rogue tree branch can cause a significant hole in your vinyl siding. Needless to say, any hole needs to be fixed as soon as possible, before you start to notice leaks or damage to the interior walls of your home.
- Cracks and chips: If you have wood siding, you’re at risk of it cracking or chipping during a severe storm. This can also happen in the dead of winter when temperatures dip down into the negatives.
What to do after a storm
Sitting around after a bad storm will only worsen the problems mentioned above. These are the first steps you need to take in addressing Minneapolis storm damage repairs:
- Document damage: Walk around your home and take photos of all the damage you see. These pictures will be crucial in the next step when you have to contact your insurance provider to make a claim.
- Contact your insurance company: Your homeowners insurance policy should cover a lot of the damage to your home. Just be sure that you have plenty of photographic evidence to give to your claims adjuster.
- Schedule repairs: Chances are, you can’t handle most of these repairs by yourself, so you’ll have to call a professional for help. Just be sure to hire a team of trusted experts to tackle the job.
Don’t choose anyone but Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo to handle your Minneapolis storm damage repairs! We provide a variety of roofing services that ensure your roof looks great and protects your home.