The Ultimate Roof Maintenance Guide for Homeowners!
Homeowners have a lot on their hands when it comes to upkeep around the house. One of the biggest elements of the house that can’t get neglected is the roof—ignoring roof maintenance leads to problems like leaks, missing shingles, damaged flashing and even trouble with the foundation. The following advice from your local roofing contractors in Minnetonka, MN will help ensure that your roof stands the test of time and you don’t have to worry about extensive roofing repairs:
- Trim tree branches: Cutting back tree branches helps ensure they don’t fall over on the roof, particularly during strong spring and summer storms. While this is something you could potentially do on your own, we advise hiring a professional to trim tall branches.
- Clean your gutters: Every homeowner should know to clear out their gutters. Removing leaves, twigs and other debris from the gutters allows rainwater to flow safely from the roof to the ground without damaging shingles and causing leaks. Again, you may be able to do this on your own, but hiring local roofing contractors in Wayzata, MN saves time and hassle each spring and fall, and is also a safer option.
- Install leaf guards: The best way to defend your gutters from those dreaded leaves and twigs is with a leaf guard. Leaf guards block debris from entering the gutter while allowing water to roll seamlessly off the roof. Even if you have leaf guards in place, we still recommend checking your gutters in the spring and fall to ensure there isn’t any debris that’s causing a blockage.
- Keep it clean: A dirty roof that’s covered in algae, mold and grime doesn’t just look bad—it’s susceptible to leaks and other issues. Hire a professional roofing company, like Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo, to wash away all that nasty grime to ensure your roof is in tip-top shape. Be sure your roofing contractor uses a bleach-free cleaner, as bleach causes more harm than it does good!
- Inspect the flashing: The metal strips on your roof are known as flashing, and they play a big role in preventing leaks in your roof. Hail and other natural elements can damage the flashing over time, leaving your roof prone to a number of problems. Inspecting the flashing at least twice a year can save your roof from significant damage.
- Watch out for interior damage: You can spot damage to your roof without climbing up on a ladder. The presence of water spots on your ceiling or walls—especially in the attic—is a good indicator that there’s an issue with your flashing or shingles. Call a roofing contractor as soon as possible to perform a thorough inspection and make repairs before the leaks worsen.
- Bring in a professional: Ultimately, your best bet if you want to ensure a sturdy and durable roof is to call a roofing contractor. A professional roofing team can inspect your property for any signs of roof damage and fix any problems before they get out of hand.
Summer is right around the corner, which means now is the perfect time to schedule a roof inspection with Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo. Our wide range of services and fair pricing ensure that we’ll be your favorite local roofing contractors in White Bear Lake, MN.