What Is Cedar Shake Restoration?
Cedar shake roof restoration is the process of thoroughly cleaning your roof system to keep it free from algae and fungal growths. But why is cleaning cedar shake roofs in Minnetonka, MN so important?
Here’s an overview of what you should know.
The importance of maintenance
Experts strongly recommend you clean cedar roofs on a regular basis to keep them in good condition for many years to come. This will help you keep keyways free of debris, and also remove anything growing on shakes, whether it’s fungi, algae, moss or any other “green” growth. The process also involves rehydrating the wood, which is important for keeping the roof in good condition.
Most experts recommend engaging in this process every seven to 10 years on average. This will help you keep even older roofs looking like they’re brand new.
What does the process look like?
Here’s what you can expect from the process of cleaning and restoring cedar shake roofs in Edina, MN:
- Prep: Before the actual work can begin, it is important to prepare the area around your house. This means protecting landscaping with tarps and coverings, and disconnecting all downspouts from your gutters to prevent your drainage system from getting clogged up.
- Power wash: The next step is to begin power washing, with a focus on cleaning every single shake. The technicians will make sure to use an appropriately gentle setting so as not to do any damage to any of your cedar shakes. As the technician continues to wash the roof, they will carefully inspect the shakes for any signs of damage that could indicate necessary repairs or replacements.
- Replacing damaged shakes: Any shakes that have experienced a certain degree of wear should then be replaced. These include shakes that are worn, cupped or have seen some severe cracking. If any hip or ridge cap is loose or missing, that will also need to be replaced. When the process is performed well, it will keep the entirety of your roof in great condition for the long term, and should not result in any visible nails.
- Handle flashing and sealing: The technician will carefully install all of your flashings and roof line openings. If necessary, they will re-flash areas that need it, and reseal roof line openings to protect the structural integrity of your roof.
- Wood conditioning: The next step is to condition the roof using wood brighteners, which bring out the color of the roof and give it a cleaner, crisper appearance. Depending on the roof’s condition, this is also when you would replace hip and ridge caps as needed.
- Oils: Further conditioning occurs with special oils, which help to rehydrate the shakes and protect them from the elements. These oils will contain antifungal, anti-mold properties to protect your roof from growth as well.
Interested in learning more about the process of cedar shake restoration in Wayzata, MN? We encourage you to contact our team today with any questions you have about our services. We’ll be happy to help!