Maintenance Tips to Prepare Your Home’s Roof for Winter
Minnesota experiences some of the harshest winters in the nation. To prepare for these extreme conditions, homeowners should take steps to protect their roofs. With a little extra care, you can extend the lifespan of your roof, which will save a lot of time, money and hassle in the long run. Following are a few simple tips from your local eco-friendly roof cleaning service in Minneapolis to help you prepare your roof for winter:
- Inspect it: Twice each year, inspect your roof. This should be done in the fall and in the spring. These inspections will allow you to identify minor issues before they become major. In the fall, you can make any necessary repairs to reduce the chances of freezing weather and snow further damaging your roof and home.
- Repair it: If your inspection reveals any damaged, loose or missing shingles, be sure to replace them before winter arrives. If you’re not sure whether your roof needs any repairs, consult with your local eco-friendly roof cleaning service in Minneapolis. These roofing experts can inspect your roof and complete any repairs to prepare your home for winter. They can also determine whether your roof needs a simple cleaning, minor repairs or a full replacement.
- Clear it: Make sure trees are cleared away from your roofline. Branches can be destructive to shingles and windows. Heavy snowfalls can cause weak or dead limbs to crash into the home. Trees near the roofline can also provide easy access to your home for animals, who would love to gain entry to your home and create a warm nest in the attic for winter. Each fall, be sure to trim back any trees that have grown close to or over the roof.
- Unclog it: Before winter sets in, be sure to clean those gutters. Fall leaves and other debris should be cleared away to ensure the gutters and downspouts are clear to allow melting snow and rainwater to drain properly. If the gutters become clogged, the lack of flow will cause damage to the roof and walls of your home.
- Vent it: If ice and snow remain on your roof, they can cause shingles to warp. Installing attic ventilation systems can reduce this buildup and protect your roof and home. It will also reduce your utility costs, because air will circulate more freely and cold air will be less likely to enter your home through the roof.
- Clean it: To prepare your roof to stand up to the elements this winter, consider a professional roof cleaning. This will remove organic growth, buildup and dirt, so your roof is ready for the harsh winter. For expert roof cleaning and exterior cleaning in Minnetonka, Wayzata and White Bear Lake, MN, contact Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo. Our team is the only licensed roofing contractor that does roof cleaning.
Get ready for winter
To make sure your roof is ready to face Jack Frost this year, contact the team at Diamond Roofing, Remodeling & Roof Shampoo. We offer roof cleaning, repairs and installation, to take care of all your roofing needs for the season. Licensed and certified, we are your go-to source for eco-friendly roof cleaning service in Minneapolis. Contact us today for additional tips for roofing care, or to receive a free estimate for services. Reach our experienced professionals at 612-387-4286.